Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mystery Quest (Read 2519 times)
NESplayer1
Ex Member

Mystery Quest
21. Mar 2006 at 02:33

Ive been thinking about getting Mystery Quest because of a recomendation from 2 friends. Should i? Whats it like? Any personal thoughts on this?

IP Logged

Ultra64
God Member

Michigan

Re: Mystery Quest
Reply #1 - 21. Mar 2006 at 03:08

How much are you paying? I never really liked the game i got no where in it. It's like a big maze. I mean its not a bad game. It's a quest!

Im sorry im no help..... ???

IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP/Whatever
it is

Reply #2 - 21. Mar 2006 at 04:06

I believe it was developed by Taxan - same company as Burai Fighter.  I have a Taxan poster that came with Star Soldier.  This game is rather small isn't it - 64 kb?
« Last Edit: 21. Mar 2006 at 04:08 by Jordan  MacNamara »  

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

lau
Forum Newbie

totally rad.

Reply #3 - 22. Mar 2006 at 22:25

Quote:
I believe it was developed by Taxan - same company as Burai Fighter.

well, published, not developed. I don't think Taxan actually developed anything internally.. Mystery Quest was developed by Carry Lab, i think Burai Fighter was KID (uncredited)

IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #4 - 17. Jul 2006 at 07:38

I own and have played through it. Ending's a letdown (no surprise there). Don't fall in water: "Hao can not swim!" and you lose the frigging game immediately. No joke. At least it doesn't suffer from Contra syndrome, you've got a ridiculous energy bar that should never get depleted.

Once you figure out what's going on it's kind of like Athena, just not so choppy/buggy and less enemies. It's just as fun shooting out and uncovering all the hidden bonuses and stuff. As far as your friends' recommensation: if they're the ones potentially selling it to you, take the advice with a grain of salt Smiley Most people I know consider this a stinker but I had more fun with it as it's not a tired old arcade port or another sports game (read: 25% of the NES library).

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

adaml
God Member

NES Game Slayer & Lost
Levels minion

Reply #5 - 19. Jul 2006 at 23:44

You also have to beat the game 4 times to get the good ending.

American NES games left to beat: 3
Last 3 U.S. NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
Updated: 7/21/10

IP Logged

Stan
God Member

~~Grand Snake of VKCC~~

Cambodia

Reply #6 - 20. Jul 2006 at 15:43

I thought it was five.

Currently Playing: Bard's Tale&&Last Game Beaten: Balloon Fight
IP Logged

adaml
God Member

NES Game Slayer & Lost
Levels minion

Reply #7 - 21. Jul 2006 at 02:38

Quote:
I thought it was five.

How dare someone of your ilk challenge Mr. Hardcore's wisdom of NES game endings??

I think TheRedEye photoshopped an extra chin onto me in that pic...I also look sickly pale and about 15 lbs overweight.  I'm still Mr. Hardcore though dammit!

Last 3 U.S. NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire

IP Logged

NationalGameDepot
God Member

The NGD Game List v3.0
is DONE!!

Knoxville, TN USA

Reply #8 - 21. Jul 2006 at 03:15

which games do you have left to beat adaml??  A very impressive task to beat so many, I plan on doing the same thing one day.
~~NGD

...~~NationalGameDepot...
WWW NationalGameDepot NationalGameDepot jbsmildew2003 nationgamesdepot  
IP Logged

adaml
God Member

NES Game Slayer & Lost
Levels minion

Reply #9 - 21. Jul 2006 at 03:32

Before anyone gets all riled up and accuses me of cheating, my stance has always been that I have cheated on some games to get to the ending.  I've never stated otherwise.  My claim is that I have seen more NES game endings than any human being alive.  Am I proud of this?  I guess so.  It would definitely be more impressive if I didn't cheat on any of these games, but I don't think there is a human being alive that could take on every single NES game legitimately.  I will genuflect in front of the man or woman who does.

Anyways, here's what's left:

Game (with difficulty rating next to it, 10 being the hardest)

Bandit Kings of Ancient China (Koei) --10
-Hard because you can only attack the final bad guy if one of your attributes is really high...and it is a high attribute to even raise.  Will get back to this one in 3 or 4 years.

F-117A Stealth Fighter (Microprose) --8
-I hate these flight simulator games, but I know I can beat this game when given the proper time to figure out the controls and what to do because I have beaten a similar game (F15 Strike Eagle I think it was...whatever the other Microprose game was).

Gemfire (Koei) --8
-I honestly have only played this for about 10 minutes, but I hear it is one of the easier Koei games, if any of them are easy at all.

L'Empereur (Koei) --9
-Have also only tried this one for a few minutes.

Miracle Piano Teaching System (Mindscape) --10
-This one gives me the willies.  I guess I will have to learn the piano to get anywhere in this.  Will probably be the last game I overtake.  I guess I better beat it soon before I get old and my motor skills disappear.

Nobunaga's Ambition II (Koei) --9
-Haven't really given this a try.  Giving it a 9 because it is a Koei game.

Overlord (Virgin) --9
-I WILL have to cheat to beat this game.  Other than Miracle Piano, this game scares me the most.

Pirates (Ultra) --8
-This game is pretty fun actually, I just need to dedicate some time to it to get the best ranking.

Pool of Radiance (FCI) --8
-This one is next on my list.  I've heard good things about it and look forward to wiping out hoards of enemies.  I guess there is a finite amount of enemies to kill in this, which sounds interesting.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 (Koei) --9
-Bah.  Koei.  Bah.

Silent Service (Ultra) --9
-I've heard this really doesn't have an ending.  I will have to spend a night learning the controls and mechanics of the game and try to go as far as possible in it to see what constitutes beating this game.

Ultima: Warriors of Destiny (FCI) --10
-Definitely a beatable looking game, though I know know one who has beaten it.  The controls are crap and it is unlike any other Ultima game I have ever played.  Doesn't look fun at all.  I will probably try to beat this after Pool of Radiance and Pirates.

Uncharted Waters (Koei) --9
-Perhaps I will try and finish this after Pirates, to keep that water theme going.  Arr.

IP Logged

NationalGameDepot
God Member

The NGD Game List v3.0
is DONE!!

Knoxville, TN USA

Reply #10 - 21. Jul 2006 at 04:51

All I have to say is stupid Koei games.  I don't like any of them, and they are frankly over-rated in my book.  Good luck on your mission Adam, it is indeed an impressive hobby.  I think your right about cheating, so many of the NES games are hella tough, and there is no way that any one person could be good at every style of game.  I think it would be hella fun to get about 20 serious collectors together and see how many games we could be in like 48 hours playing in shifts Cheesy  What do you do no games that don't have an ending, just make it as far as humanly possible?
~~NGD

...~~NationalGameDepot...
WWW NationalGameDepot NationalGameDepot jbsmildew2003 nationgamesdepot  
IP Logged

adaml
God Member

NES Game Slayer & Lost
Levels minion

Reply #11 - 21. Jul 2006 at 05:09

NGD, I have an endings guide here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/game/916386.html

I only started this a few years back, so there is a lot of stuff missing, but it explains a lot of the "vague" endings and what I think it takes to "finish" those games.  A lot of the older games that loop are hard to categorize, but I try to find some kind of landmark in those games, like when the levels start looping and so forth.

IP Logged

jasonlotp

spoon dagger

Central California

Reply #12 - 24. Jul 2006 at 18:05

Other than F-117A Stealth Fighter and Ultima most of those games are kinda open ended without real endings.
Here's a helpful shortcut for most Koei games. Start a game with as many human players as possible. You can ususally use the threaten command and cause them to turn over their land to your main character. Its a good way to get a running start in those games.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print