Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doki Doki Panic (Read 41264 times)
downloader

Faxanadu is the greatest
(NES) game in the world!

Re: Doki Doki Panic
Reply #15 - 11. Sep 2008 at 21:21

There is a hacked rom for SMB2 (US) where all sprites are replaced with the doki doki panic sprites.

and since it's the US mario 2, you can run.

I would like to see this hacked a little bit more so you can't run.

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12. Sep 2008 at 04:37

I've got two Doki Doki Panic pirates coming to me from Taiwan. I'll be curious to see if they're legit, or just as you say: hacked SMB USA. I've got the disk somewhere, but I've never played it. I'll have to play both, just so I'm familiar with what the real one is like.

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 18. Sep 2008 at 07:30

I got my two Doki Doki Panic carts in. They're both the original game -- no running, etc. I'm gonna send them off to get dumped and see if it'll be possible to reproduce them.

IP Logged

laserdisc1138

Reply #18 - 04. Feb 2009 at 22:23

Ive been playing this on my FDS today. How the hell do I save the game? I got past the first boss and then turned off the fds (assuming it was saved as the 1st world had turned green on the character select). But when I turned it back on it wasnt saved!

IP Logged

Martin
YaBB Administrator

Denmark

Reply #19 - 05. Feb 2009 at 12:16

As far as I remember it only allows you to save when you're gaem over.... yeah - STUPID! Smiley

Seen on #NESWORLD (on efnet)...
[Ace`] i like my HES cases to have arse prints on them
WWW 46415786  
IP Logged

Grooveraider
Forum Newbie

Gunpei 1941 - 1997

Reply #20 - 14. Mar 2009 at 10:00

I dunno why people hate the U.S. SMB2 so much. Nintendo tried to give us  a completely new adventure. I had fun with what Nintendo America gave me. I mean seriously, would you have been satisfied if Nintendo released the Japan verison of SMB2 to America back in 1988 ?? It was bascially the same game only more difficult. Nintendo was afraid people wouldn't shell out $30 - 40 for a very similar game. I was so hyped up for SMB2 when I received my premiere issue of Nintendo Power. It was DIFFERENT ! Looking back I still don't regret Nintendo modifying an existing Japan game into a Super Mario sequel because Doki Doki Panic in itself was a pretty damn good game.

Doki1.jpg (51 KB | 612 )
Doki1.jpg

Grooveraider's Retrogaming & Misc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Grooveraider

Grooveraider's Retrogaming & Misc. Photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grooveraider/

IP Logged

dudekind_jack
Forum Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - 19. Aug 2009 at 23:25

the waterfall is faster on doki doki also.  pretty cool game. i always loved what nintendo gave us here in the U.S.   I remember renting it sometime in the spring of 1989, and keeping it a month.  we finally took it back, and the lady who owned the rental store was just glad to get her game back. she didnt even charge me a late charge.

later on , when school started back, i started working after school, and with my first paycheck, i went to walmart and bought super mario 2.  its one of my favorite games of all time.

IP Logged

Martin
YaBB Administrator

Denmark

Reply #22 - 11. May 2010 at 21:06

This Topic was moved here from Famicom Disk System by Martin.

Seen on #NESWORLD (on efnet)...
[Ace`] i like my HES cases to have arse prints on them
WWW 46415786  
IP Logged

dudekind_jack
Forum Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - 13. Aug 2011 at 07:05

i originally played smb2 usa before i even heard of doki doki panic.  didnt even know such a thing existed until after lost levels came out for the snes.  i may not of even knew about doki doki until i got internet, and that would of been around 1999 or so. 

i like the doki doki game, even tho you cant run. i beleive in order to beat it, you have to beat it with all 4 characters.

there is a beta/prototype of smb2 that still has some doki doki stuff on it floating around the net if you look in the right place.

IP Logged

laserdisc1138

Reply #24 - 19. Mar 2012 at 17:49

Grooveraider wrote on 14. Mar 2009 at 10:00:
I dunno why people hate the U.S. SMB2 so much. Nintendo tried to give us  a completely new adventure. I had fun with what Nintendo America gave me. I mean seriously, would you have been satisfied if Nintendo released the Japan verison of SMB2 to America back in 1988 ??.

Yeah I definitely would have been! I love SMB2J, I love the fact that its like the first game but harder.
That is exactly what I wanted. I still love the look of the first mario game and to have a proper challenge is what I was dreaming of.
I really do wish we had gotten SMB2J over here.

IP Logged

RegalSin

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #25 - 20. Mar 2012 at 16:35

Meh in the USA got Mario. I think it was a reasonable trade off.

IP Logged

downloader

Faxanadu is the greatest
(NES) game in the world!

Reply #26 - 15. Aug 2012 at 21:14

Uhm the Mario 2 BETA would be perfectly hackable to doki doki panic.

- You can't run
- the bonus jackpot slotsmachine thing looks exactly like the doki doki version
- the genie in a bottle lamp (where the world becomes dark and you can collect coins) is there
- the POW block isn't moving
- the waterfall goes faster (just like in Doki Doki Panic)

Music and sprites have to be changed, but it could work out.
Don't know about the mapper of it...have to get my hands on my friend Bouke's cart some day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print