Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Super Off Road  -  Sample Game Pak (Read 17350 times)
jajaja
God Member

Re: Super Off Road  -  Sample Game Pak
Reply #15 - 22. Jul 2006 at 23:03

Damn, thats probly the luckiest find so far this year. Buying a game thats listed like a normal game, only stock photo (or pic of box) and recive a prototype Shocked I dont even know what the odds for that is, but its probly 1000000:1

The game was released in Europe. The Scandinavia release was released 14th March 1991 and uses the EEC code. The french and german releases uses their normal codes, FRA and NOE. I dont know when they where released over there tho.

This is the first prototype i see that only have 1 EPROM, is that normal for some prototypes?
« Last Edit: 22. Jul 2006 at 23:04 by jajaja »  

IP Logged

Ultra64
God Member

Michigan

Reply #16 - 23. Jul 2006 at 00:40

nice find. its a sweet game by the way too~ 4 palyer!

IP Logged

Michael the Great
God Member

Only 751 to go for a complete
set!

Reply #17 - 23. Jul 2006 at 03:04

There are many one chip games. 

The short:  The left chip that looks like a rom chip is a ram chip.  Therefore it wouldn't be an eprom!

The long:  Most nintendo games have two rom chips.  They are called CHR and PRG. 

CHR stands for Character, not game characters but rather the game graphics.  The characters of our alphabet make up sentences and paragraphs.  The characters of NES games are sprites which are combined to make up all of the graphics.  All of the sprites are held in the CHR rom.  Graphics need to be in the CHR spot for the NES to access them.

PRG stands for program.  All of the code is then in the PRG rom.

Some games store the code and the graphics and the code on the PRG and have a ram chip for the CHR (then called CHR-RAM).  Since ram is easily changed and rom is not changeable, CHR-RAM allowed programmers to do some things that they couldn't do with static CHR-ROM.  The game will take the graphics off the PRG and store them in the RAM so the graphics are where then NES can access them.

There were many Nintendo boards made for CHR-RAM.  There are too many to list, but this Super Off Road is one of them.  CHR-RAM isn't as common as CHR-ROM, but Zelda 1, Mega Man 1,2,4,6, and even California Raisins use Chr-Ram (among many others).

Therefore, any prototype with CHR-RAM will always be a one eprom prototype.

grumpynes  
IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #18 - 23. Jul 2006 at 22:41

Ok, thanks for the info Smiley Is this game really made my Nintendo? I never knew.

IP Logged

Michael the Great
God Member

Only 751 to go for a complete
set!

Reply #19 - 24. Jul 2006 at 01:33

Ya know, I forgot about that fact.  Tradewest was the US publisher, but Nintendo was the PAL publisher, correct?  I'm too lazy to check but that would mean that there's probably a simple "title screen" change between nstc and pal.

grumpynes  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print