Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Poll Poll
Question: Dragon's Lair

Yes    
  6 (75.0%)
No    
  2 (25.0%)

Total votes: 8
« Created by: jajaja on: 28. Jul 2006 at 15:09 »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dragons' Lair (Read 2684 times)
jajaja
God Member

Dragons' Lair
28. Jul 2006 at 15:09

I had to make this rather useless poll lol Smiley Do you feel bad for the people who bought Dragon's Lair when it was new? The game was like $80 - $90 when it was out here.

When i was a kid i think i managed to get into the castle 1-2 times. Today i can get into the castle easy, but thats it, i never even made it to the first boss Grin So imagine saving up cash as a kid and when you finaly get the money, bought the game and couldnt even get into the castle lol. Damn that must have sucked, to pay full price for it Sad

IP Logged

Hounder
God Member

Only cool people pee their
pants

Illinois

Re: Dragons' Lair
Reply #1 - 28. Jul 2006 at 15:23

I voted yes because I use to play this game ALL the time. Why? Because I wanted to get past that first castle! I never did and still haven't Sad I would have hated to pay that kind of money for it and then sucked at it that bad Tongue

Agateophobia- Fear of insanity

IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #2 - 28. Jul 2006 at 16:45

I was more tenacious as a kid but only got to play this as a rental so didn't get very far. I remember it being rather fun once I got past the
Moat Monster,
trekking through the dungeon, getting surprised by enemies. I don't remember passing a boss...but going back to revisit it after I got the cart for my collection I must say it's endearing yet annoying.  Angry The animation is unique to the NES and I think more of it as a puzzler than an action game...kind of like
Boy and his Blob
or
Prince of Persia
. The only problem I see is that there's no real learning curve...and no endless continues!

Endless continues and even lives have been all but worked out of games now but I guess they were a holdover from the arcade style of programming...many games were even ports based off of the original style and programming, modified to run on the NES chipset...but even though the NES Dragon's Lair was vastly different than the laserdisc arcade one, they figured the feel of
"popping quarters"
at least deserved some attention.

One thing I wonder about is why many NES games have three plays...like your first game, then two continues after you lose all your lives. My rationale is, we all played our arcade games with pocket change...and the most a person "should" have after breaking a dollar is $0.75.  I don't remember many games costing more than a quarter in the 80's...so do NES games with continues give you the
"benefit of the doubt"
and say you have a full $0.75 to play the game you already paid $90 for?  Cool

-dano

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

jasonlotp

spoon dagger

Central California

Reply #3 - 28. Jul 2006 at 17:57

If anyone can actually beat that game without cheating on a real NES I give them much applause.
It is nigh impossible. Using save states on an emulator I was in agony trying to beat the damn thing. The boss of the game is enough to make a grown man cry.  Angry

IP Logged

TheFinalDayComes
God Member

NES will not die

Upstate, NY

Reply #4 - 28. Jul 2006 at 21:15

jasonlotp wrote on 28. Jul 2006 at 17:57:
If anyone can actually beat that game without cheating on a real NES I give them much applause.
It is nigh impossible. Using save states on an emulator I was in agony trying to beat the damn thing. The boss of the game is enough to make a grown man cry.  Angry

LOL make a grown man cry Grin. I have never played that game and I don't think I even have it. I like challenges, but I don't wanna cry lol.

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #5 - 28. Jul 2006 at 21:29

I just watched a speedrun of it. A guy beats the whole game in under 4 minutres Shocked Its not very long tho, but incredible difficult. The ending also sux. I guess they didnt care much about it since they probly assumed that 1% would beat it haha Grin Cool music in the end tho Wink

IP Logged

Hounder
God Member

pants

Illinois

Reply #6 - 28. Jul 2006 at 21:32

I wanna see that speedrun Smiley I want to see how the guy did it so I can learn Tongue

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #7 - 28. Jul 2006 at 21:41

IP Logged

Hounder
God Member

pants

Illinois

Reply #8 - 28. Jul 2006 at 22:08

Whoever played that was really good o.O How did he beat the dragon that fast though? That was weird.

IP Logged

TheFinalDayComes
God Member

NES will not die

Upstate, NY

Reply #9 - 28. Jul 2006 at 22:39

I tried to watch that video but it wouldn't play, what site is it from?

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #10 - 28. Jul 2006 at 23:27

Ye, i wonder what the trick is to bypass the dragon. The movie is divx or xvid so you need a codec to play it. I recommend VLC.

You can also check out this website. Here you can download FCEu movies. FCEu is a NES emulator, so you need this, the ROM of the game and the movie patch to watch.

IP Logged

Stan
God Member

~~Grand Snake of VKCC~~

Cambodia

Reply #11 - 28. Jul 2006 at 23:58

I like this game, even though it has plenty of faults, I think it mimicks the difficulty of the arcade rather well with the weird stuff you have to figure out to get through it.

Currently Playing: Bard's Tale&&Last Game Beaten: Balloon Fight
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print