Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
nes games a good investment?? (Read 20136 times)
coinheaven
God Member

I don't trust books; they're
all fact, no heart.

nes games a good investment??
31. Jul 2006 at 03:14

so i always here people say they collect nes games because they are a good investment.  the thing is, most of us dont ever plan on selling our games, so i cant really see it as an investment.  its more a fun thing for me to get my mind off work and life in general.  even if we ever did have to sell them, i would be depressed as hell cause i worked so hard to amass all the games.  it is good for me because i go to flea markets and most of the games i pick up i already have, so i can ebay them.  been bothering me for a while, just wanted to see if anybody saw it like this.

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Re: nes games a good investment??
Reply #1 - 31. Jul 2006 at 03:22

I bet you won't want to hold onto your games forever. If boredom with gaming/collecting doesn't stop you, arthritis will. Wink

And I'm with you on the second part of your post. I game because I want to "lose myself" in something for a few hours here and there. I spend so much time thinking -- I'm a curious person -- that I like to sit down in front of a screen and just click buttons everyone once in a while. We all need something like that: a simple distraction.

IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #2 - 31. Jul 2006 at 08:28

I'm at odds with my collection. It's
not
an investment to me and I think many people on the net who love the hobby enough to post about it, feel the same way.
We know there's SOME value in SOME carts...
but it's like
baseball cards
or
comic books
...only the very best and the most scarce will ever really be valuable. SO what about the other 700 carts?

I love them all...but the more I collect, the more I want to share them... not necessarily in a financial way, or a trading way...and as far as playing goes, It's tough luring chicks into the house with the promise of a rousing game of
Bible Buffet
though. And the dudes just want
Halo 2.

I own a modestly successful CCG/RPG/Board Game shop and have recently mused with the idea of "going public" with my collection. I inventory purchase and sale prices on thousands of single Magic and Yugioh cards, why not a few hundred more items...the NES games? They look
pretty
on display, and lord knows none of the other schmoes within 50 miles "do it right" and are consummate ripoff artists.

Does anyone know of shops that "do it right?" I know that the
Microplays
and
GameCrazys
of the world do less than 5-10% of their total volume in "classic games." The markup on the 5-10% is great...but again, it's because they give a
dime
on SMB/DH that they sell for
$2.99

There's a few great internet places...the largest of which being
EBGames
, but some other independant e-tailers (non-ebay of course) that buy, sell and trade. My idea is to add it to my brick-and-mortar though...not as a "money making scheme" but as a way to "go live" with my games...potentially expanding my collection, although it would be in a state of flux as I buy and sell carts...but making everything available to those who desire it, without having to go online and without
cabbage-scented carnies
quoting from decade-old price guides (or worse yet, spouting arbitrary prices off the top of their head.)

Problem is I've got this beautiful cabinet here at home...and they're lined up so beautifully...Smiley

-dano

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

burnambill333
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 31. Jul 2006 at 21:28

I don't think anybody here collects strictly for investment purposes, but one can't help but wonder: will the monetary value of NES games go up in the future like collectable comic books, or die down in the future like most Atari games?

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #4 - 31. Jul 2006 at 23:44

Im alittle worried about the download feature Wii has. Over here people pay much for for NES games than in USA, so it might be much harder to sell the games for the same price as today Sad But.. time will show. Its still months to go before Wii gets out.

IP Logged

TheFinalDayComes
God Member

NES will not die

Upstate, NY

Reply #5 - 01. Aug 2006 at 00:26

I collected games for fun not an investment I agree with Coinheaven; It gives me something to do and I like finding great games at pawns shops or garage sales. I don't plan on selling my collection I would like to display it. AS far as an investment goes that is also true. If I find a Bubble Bobble 2 or a Snow bros that I already have I would sell it or trade it for a bunch of games.

I also like playing my games and getting away from everyday life. I'm like a kid in a candy store coming home with a bag full of games and marking them off on my sheet. It won't stop with NES either, I buy some SNES, N64, PS1, PS2 games here and there too.

IP Logged

parpunk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 01. Aug 2006 at 16:40

hmmm good question. honestly i think its just fun. I love hunting for stuff and rummaging at flea markets, thrift shops, pawn shops etc. You never know what your gonna find really. And believe it or not there are still tons and tons of people that sell this kind of stuff for nothing.. But having stuff that is valuable is awesome as well. for one they are good conversation pieces. for instance if someone sees my display case with like 6 in 1 complete in there and they are like woah is that game rare or something. Its always cool to tell them a little about it and that it is pretty valuable. So investment wise, yea i think its pretty cool to have rare stuff. But the real matter of it is that it is awesome to hunt for stuff and it looks realy awesome on display. Nothing cooler than a rack of 600 nes games. lol Plus its something different that not everyone else does. Everyone collected cards etc. but they just sit there and do nothing. you actually play games so that is awesome. Im 20 years old now and started collecting when i was about 17 and still have a blast doing it. Im trying to get every US game made and im down to the last 70 couple games i need. So now its getting even funner trying to get all of them. Its like a goal and keeps ya motivated. Ill be happy when i get a complete collection and probably sad at the same time lol. But i plan on after i get down to then final 10 games i need. i will proably sell off every game i have that has any flaw in it and try to get nothing but mint ones. Just so i could have that flow of collecting still going lol. i never plan on selling my collection but its also good to know if i HAD TO i could get more than what i payed for all of it. And that is always a good feeling. But still probably will never sell it so it doesnt realy matter lol. Anyways thats my thought on it all. Smiley

PS by the way what finalday said about coming home with bags of games in your hands and marking them off...THATS ME TOO !!! LOL haha. thats like every saturday at like 2:00 for me lol. do you know how many hi lighters ive went through in my day. lol glad to see im not the only one haha
« Last Edit: 01. Aug 2006 at 16:47 by parpunk »  
parpunk  
IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP/Whatever
it is

Reply #7 - 01. Aug 2006 at 17:43

Ha ha, no more wasting Hilighters for me!  I use...

NES LISTER

http://www.nesplayer.com/misc/neslister.zip

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

parpunk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - 01. Aug 2006 at 22:00

thats pretty cool but the thing is i always take my little booklet with me wherever i go to hunt for games. So that way i always know which ones i have etc. i dont realy need to anymore because i only have 70 left to get. but the highlighters have alreayd been used overtime haha lol. But what i did was make a little address book into a NES book. and printed out a complete nes list out of notepad in like 10 font. then just went through and cut out chunks of titles and pasted them on the address book pages. and made them all in alphabetical order. and plus the book has letters out on the side of pages so if you wanna flip to the M section you just flip it open like an address book and there are all the NES games with M. pretty neat i think.

parpunk  
IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #9 - 01. Aug 2006 at 22:55

Pretty sad if you don't know what games you have; but yes, neat.

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

Stan
God Member

~~Grand Snake of VKCC~~

Cambodia

Reply #10 - 01. Aug 2006 at 23:53

Hmmm, I think I mainly do it for fun.  I have some rare crap (rarest stuff being in my SMS collection), but I really don't care about that, I just like to play.  I do professional reviews as well with plans to eventually review every SMS and NES game out there (almost all of them at least).  I don't really consider it an investment, because it's impossible to say what's going to happen with the prices in 50 years, but I like to tell people that so they stop making fun of me when the issue comes up in conversation.

Currently Playing: Bard's Tale&&Last Game Beaten: Balloon Fight
IP Logged

parpunk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - 02. Aug 2006 at 01:10

its one thing to remeber the games you have when you only have around 300 games. when you have 600 games it gets tough with certain titles. for instance i run into NES games at the flea market for $1.00 to $3.00 each all the time. And sometimes ill look at a game and say man i have that game i know i do, Then i would sometimes pass it up, and then find out i had it but traded it away and forgot about that. Plus i always have games coming in and selling extras and it can get confusing. Then some of my friends collect too so it really gets crazy trying to keep track of over 1000 NES games lol. For instance the other day i bought an urban champion for $1.50 bevause i didnt remeber having that one. Then when i got home i already did have it, but i got it like 3 years ago and haddnt played it since. so therefore i like to hgave a list for thos bogus titles that are so easy to forget about. but when it comes down to any games that i play i know i have them already.

parpunk  
IP Logged

coinheaven
God Member

all fact, no heart.

Reply #12 - 02. Aug 2006 at 01:19

parpunk wrote on 02. Aug 2006 at 01:10:
its one thing to remeber the games you have when you only have around 300 games. when you have 600 games it gets tough with certain titles. for instance i run into NES games at the flea market for $1.00 to $3.00 each all the time. And sometimes ill look at a game and say man i have that game i know i do, Then i would sometimes pass it up, and then find out i had it but traded it away and forgot about that. Plus i always have games coming in and selling extras and it can get confusing. Then some of my friends collect too so it really gets crazy trying to keep track of over 1000 NES games lol. For instance the other day i bought an urban champion for $1.50 bevause i didnt remeber having that one. Then when i got home i already did have it, but i got it like 3 years ago and haddnt played it since. so therefore i like to hgave a list for thos bogus titles that are so easy to forget about. but when it comes down to any games that i play i know i have them already.

yup, i buy games i already have all the time because i forgot i had them.  its getting easier since i only need a hundred and some games, so i just look for those games instead of thinking if i have the other 650+.  i usually keep a list in my car, i dont like to pull out a list, people will think its a price list and think im a dealer and charge me more.  i buy mario 3 off this one guy for 2 bucks every week and he still doesnt  remember who i am.

IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #13 - 02. Aug 2006 at 01:31

coinheaven wrote on 02. Aug 2006 at 01:19:
parpunk wrote on 02. Aug 2006 at 01:10:

yup, i buy games i already have all the time because i forgot i had them.  its getting easier since i only need a hundred and some games, so i just look for those games instead of thinking if i have the other 650+.  i usually keep a list in my car, i dont like to pull out a list, people will think its a price list and think im a dealer and charge me more.  i buy mario 3 off this one guy for 2 bucks every week and he still doesnt  remember who i am.  

Okay, maybe it's just me.  I was at Game Crazy & saw a game I wasn't sure I had so I passed it up.  I realized that I probably didn't have it.  So then I came to the conclusion that I was buying too much & not playing enough so I halted any further buying.

I'm more of a player than a collector that way - I have to play & beat all my games.

IP Logged

coinheaven
God Member

all fact, no heart.

Reply #14 - 02. Aug 2006 at 01:45

yea i hear ya, i definitely buy to much, but i have more fun collecting, i really dont have time to play games, but i do play 1 new game a week, so slowly i will get to them all.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print