Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Playing NES on my monitor (Read 3300 times)
Mish
Forum Newbie

I have a NES again!

Playing NES on my monitor
31. Jul 2006 at 08:52

I had a NES a long long time ago, with more games than I could point a stick at.  But being 11 or so when I got bored of them and got into computers, my mum asked if she could give it away cause her friends son was of the right age.  I didn't protest too much.   Many years later I regret her giving it away and I recently got one off my girlfriends sister hahaha

Anywho back on topic,  is there a way to connect my NES to my monitor/computer so I can play it without having a TV (I'm at college now and I have a small room not enough for a tv lol)

Thanks I know this may have been asked before but I couldnt find the asnwer

- Mish

IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP/Whatever
it is

Re: Playing NES on my monitor
Reply #1 - 31. Jul 2006 at 09:32

I know you can hook up a computer to a TV, but I don't know about the other way around. Huh

Ever consider a flat screen?

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

WhiteDRG
God Member

Du bist ein berliner?
;)

Germany

Reply #2 - 31. Jul 2006 at 10:01

There are TV to VGA convertors, but they are rather expensive. The best way should be a TV card for your PC, but I remember a discussion on this boards that came to the conclusion that not every TV card can handle the NES video signal properly.

**** WhiteDRG ****
IP Logged

Megamind
Forum Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Netherlands

Reply #3 - 31. Jul 2006 at 11:30

I have used a TV card (Pinnacle 110i I believe)  to hook my nes up to my computer/monitor. Have to say it was for a short time. The quality wasn't very close when compared to my tv.

IP Logged

Hounder
God Member

Only cool people pee their
pants

Illinois

Reply #4 - 31. Jul 2006 at 13:20

Couple years ago I had a converter to do just this. It cost me roughly $80 though Undecided But it basically let you use your monitor as a tv and could play your systems, watch cable, or whatever else.

Agateophobia- Fear of insanity

IP Logged

coinheaven
God Member

I don't trust books; they're
all fact, no heart.

Reply #5 - 31. Jul 2006 at 18:55

why dont you just use a usb nes controller and an emulator?

IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #6 - 31. Jul 2006 at 21:52

Probably because it's not the same thing.  For some reason I can't get into games using emulators - I only use them for music/development purposes.

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

Mish
Forum Newbie

I have a NES again!

Reply #7 - 01. Aug 2006 at 00:41

yeah its just not the same....

- Mish

IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #8 - 01. Aug 2006 at 05:08

The resolution is too high, the sound quality is too good, & you don't get to blow in the games. Sad

IP Logged

kungfukid

NES v SMS - maybe robot
wars style??

Paisley, Scotland

Reply #9 - 01. Aug 2006 at 11:13

Lol, yeah, all of the above plus the little legal technicallity! Unlikely it'll ever be enforced, but from a legal point of view, emulators are only supposed to be used for the following two scenarios:

1. As a backup to a game you already legally own on Cartriage

2. As a demonstration before purchasing the game legally - in this scenario, it's only legal to download the game for a maximum period of either 24 or 48 hours (can't remember which!) before it should be deleted!

Well, that's the legal standpoint anyway - actually downloading loads of games for an emulator and keeping them is rather bizzarly against the law!

Of course, nobody actually takes notice of it (I have nesticle, as well as emulators for the snes, sms & megadrive/genesis) - but that's mainly because it's a law that's never enforced! But you never know - there's always a first case......  Smiley

All the way from the bonnie banks of Loch Lomand!....well, Paisley.... but that's close enough! Smiley
kungfukid  
IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #10 - 01. Aug 2006 at 17:38

Quote:

2. As a demonstration before purchasing the game legally - in this scenario, it's only legal to download the game for a maximum period of either 24 or 48 hours (can't remember which!) before it should be deleted!

I've heard that both cases are still illegal.

Ohs awella! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Michael the Great
God Member

Only 751 to go for a complete
set!

Reply #11 - 01. Aug 2006 at 23:13

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard that both cases are still illegal.

Ohs awella! Roll Eyes

Yeah, not to start that big piracy discussion that gets everybody riled up, but the 24 hour thing is all a myth.  The backup case is perfectly legal, but only if you make your own backup (ie it's not legal to download other people's backup and call it your own even if you own the game). 

grumpynes  
IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

it is

Reply #12 - 01. Aug 2006 at 23:56

Makes sense - mystery solved

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print