Send Topic Print
Nes code questions (Read 7864 times)
Dutch nes gamer
God Member

holland

Nes code questions
19. Aug 2006 at 13:28

Nes code questions

I have some qustions about the Europe market.

Here the come:

on the nes carts you see codes but what do the mean?
I now that fra is France,noe is German and hol is Holland but what is eec?

Where does the middle sand fore?  nes-MW-fra

Ok now what thouger one's : 1 game i have is faxunadu the game has the code nes-fx-fra ,fra is France ok,the game comes with france and holland manual! but onother game i have maniac mansion hase the code nes-jm-hol
hol is Holland but it has also has the dubbel france Holland manual.

So why has the 1 a fra and the ather a hol code?

it gets weirder!

Trojan a game i bought new some 15 jears ago hase a oval seal on the box and a round one on the cart,the instruction manual hase the code nes-tj-fra and the cart nes-tj-eec

Whats up with that?

And the game robowarrrior is the best i got this one also new from the shop 15 jears ago and it has a oval seal on the cart and box so its usa! wrong i can play it on the pal console it has the code nes-rr-eec and the manual is Eng/Fra/hol

And finaly why do the games not from nintendo have a b on the cart and the box,its like nintendo says this is a b product?
Megaman 2 is a b and megaman  has a nintendo logo?

hope somebody nows this?

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Re: Nes code questions
Reply #1 - 19. Aug 2006 at 14:24

EEC stands for "European Economic Community" afaik. This code was used on most of the early NES games released in Europe. Later when NES got so frickin huge they started to give each country/region their own code, like FRA for France, ESP for Spain, SCN for Scandinavia and so on.

The code in the middle, like NES-MW-FRA as you said is the code/serial for the game. The early game codes made more sence, like Soccer got SC and Volleyball got VB. But since its nearly 1000 NES games out there many of the codes doesnt make sense.

If you look at the back of a NES game with -FRA code you will see that the label on the back either says FAH or FAH-1. FAH stands for France and Holland. The FAH label only have french and dutch text, but the FAH-1 also have english. The reason why the manual got both french and dutch manual is most likely to save money. I assume its cheaper and easier to press one manual with 2 languages than 2 seperate manuals. Games that was released in Scandinaiva had swedish, danish and finish manual. So if you bought a game in Norway, Sweden, Danemark or Finland you would get the same manual Smiley

Some of the earlier games, like Trojan, uses oval "seal of quality". Its normal. I dont know why they changed it from oval to round tho. Trojan is one of the later of the earlier game (sounds wierd i know), therefor the game got EEC code, but the manual have another code. I dont think there excist a manual that says EEC. I've heard rumors about it, but never seen any proof of it.

As mentioned, earlier games started to use oval seal, so it doesnt mean the game is from USA just because it got oval seal. To find out if the game is from USA, you must look at the game and see if it says NES-XX-USA. Oval seal does not indicate that the game is from USA. Some of the earlier NES consoles did not have a region check so they are universal. If you try a USA game in your machine and it resets every secound it means you need to modify your NES (or that the game is dirty).

Nintendo made 2 PAL systems, PAL-A and PAL-B. PAL-A was used in UK, Italy and Australia, PAL-B was used in rest of Europe. Nintendo labeled the games and boxes with A and B so you can easily spot of the game is PAL-A or PAL-B. You cannot play PAL-A on a PAL-B console and vise versa. You need to modify your NES to do this, or have a universal NES as i talked about earlier.

Hope this info is to some help Smiley
« Last Edit: 19. Aug 2006 at 14:30 by jajaja »  

IP Logged

Dutch nes gamer
God Member

holland

Reply #2 - 19. Aug 2006 at 14:48

Smiley thanks that makes things clear!

But where stands the b fore? b product,kind of insolting fore the other products.

And why has megaman 2 a b on the box and is megaman 3 a nintendo product,did the buy it from capcom?

ok,so you have all the pal games,cart only!

Then you wan't them boxed! challenging!

But are there people that collect code wise!
Example the have bart vs the space mutants noe code German
But the start collecting fra or scn compleet
now that is a CHALLENGE!

IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #3 - 19. Aug 2006 at 15:26

Hehe the B does not stand for b-product Smiley I guess its just a letter, A and B. I dont think they really mean anything spesial.

Yes, its hard to collect code wise. I know of people who have every SCN games. There are probably people who have ever NOE, FRA, ESP game and so on. I try to get every PAL game ever released so i dont care that much about the codes. But i do prefer PAL-B over PAL-A.

EDIT: About Mega Man, i think Nintendo published them all (correct me if im wrong). Capcom made all of the atleast.
« Last Edit: 19. Aug 2006 at 15:58 by jajaja »  

IP Logged

NationalGameDepot
God Member

The NGD Game List v3.0
is DONE!!

Knoxville, TN USA

Reply #4 - 20. Aug 2006 at 00:46

Unless you are Dain and collect all the codes.  Dain is a beast, and will eventually have full sets of all the codes, he already has a HUGE start on some of them.  I really need to delve into PAL collecting soon.......
~~NGD

...~~NationalGameDepot...
WWW NationalGameDepot NationalGameDepot jbsmildew2003 nationgamesdepot  
IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #5 - 20. Aug 2006 at 01:26

Hehe getting all codes is insane Grin I have seriously thought about myself tho. First im going to get all PAL games, then im moving on to all SCN games. I have many of the hard ones (Flintstones 2, Lion King, Aladdin, Gimmick, Pro Am 2) so its fully possible Smiley

I guess the easiest code to get complete is NOE or FRA. They have some hard like Pugsley Scavanger Hunt, Action in New York, Mighty Final Fight and Trolls in Crazyland to mention some, but these games are totaly doable.

Anyone have full lists over all codes btw? I have of USA and SCN, but thats it.
« Last Edit: 20. Aug 2006 at 01:28 by jajaja »  

IP Logged

NationalGameDepot
God Member

The NGD Game List v3.0
is DONE!!

Knoxville, TN USA

Reply #6 - 20. Aug 2006 at 01:52

All the known ones are on my game list, which is still not done yet(man I am lazy).  You would just need to so a search on excel to find the codes you are looking for, very easy though.  I think NOE would be the easiest set by far to do.  I may try to do a SWE/SWE set first since there are only like 4 games in it I think, and I have one already.
~~NGD

...~~NationalGameDepot...
WWW NationalGameDepot NationalGameDepot jbsmildew2003 nationgamesdepot  
IP Logged

jajaja
God Member

Reply #7 - 20. Aug 2006 at 02:00

Ye, its only 4 SWE games. Shadow Gate, Deja Vu, Maniac Mansion and F-15 Strike Eagle. Uninvited was also planed, but it got canned. The SWE games do belong within the SCN series tho Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print