Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Silly Q for developers and custom carts (Read 7137 times)
Sivak

Superior Draconian

Silly Q for developers and custom carts
20. May 2007 at 07:10

This may sound silly, but I just want to know:  If you are a developer that has made custom cartridges, have you gone the extra mile and made up boxes and manuals for them as well?  I know there's little point, but I'm curious if anyone's ever done such a thing.  I'd be amused by it, really.
« Last Edit: 20. May 2007 at 07:10 by Sivak »  

IP Logged

bunnyboy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Silly Q for developers and custom carts
Reply #1 - 20. May 2007 at 19:11

Manuals are very common (almost expected) in the Atari homebrew market.  I think only albailey and my carts are the ones with printed manuals in the NES market.  Getting real printed paperboard boxes will likely never happen because a minimum order is 1000 boxes.  That can come down if you use one of the standard sizes (6"x6"x1" is closest to NES) and use something like one color lithography instead of printing, but it is still expensive.

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #2 - 21. May 2007 at 14:45

Yeah, I looked into paper boxes.  One place wanted $300 for the custom die and another  $375 for the layout setup.   I have no clue what the cost per box would have been on top of that but it would have been insane for a small number of carts.

I just went with Candy tins.   They're still  about $3 a piece, but they are almost the same size as a NES box.

I think the only practical way to do the boxes is to get a bunch of homebrewers to go in together on a large order of generic boxes, and then print a custom sticker for the front.  (I think thats all Sachen does.)

Al

IP Logged

NationalGameDepot
God Member

The NGD Game List v3.0
is DONE!!

Knoxville, TN USA

Reply #3 - 21. May 2007 at 15:51

I actually like the way Al done it better than having a real paper box.  It makes it very collectable cause you about have to display it more so than put it on a shelf.  Plus you can feel the amount of work and quality in his by seeing all the specialy little touches:  the seal of adquacy, the made in Canada back label, the whitty comments, the homebrew series.  Such a cool project.
~~NGD

...~~NationalGameDepot...
WWW NationalGameDepot NationalGameDepot jbsmildew2003 nationgamesdepot  
IP Logged

Jordan  MacNamara
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP/Whatever
it is

Reply #4 - 21. May 2007 at 21:30

I haven't seen Albailey's box - was there a pic of it somewhere?

I have hundreds of games for trade or sale so check out my website.&&http://mynescollection.tripod.com/
IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #5 - 21. May 2007 at 22:50

On the main page here Smiley

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #6 - 22. May 2007 at 14:57

I've got another idea for boxes.
You know those clear plastic boxes that people use to protect their NES boxes.  You could probably print directly on those, or just apply a sticker.

They should be cheap ( less than a dollar a piece), and a person (or collecting community) can buy them in bulk because regular collectors will want them to protect their existing NES boxes.

Al

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print