Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New NES Homebrew : Assimilate (Read 3636 times)
The Evil Wizard Ganon
Forum Newbie

All of Hyrule shall be
MINE!

New NES Homebrew : Assimilate
05. Aug 2010 at 20:30

Hey everyone!

I'm stopping by to show some gameplay vids of the NES game I've been working on called "Assimilate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivK439WxCPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJN2f-CssM

Assimilate is an easy to grasp 2D sidescrolling action game for the NES. You control a UFO that moves from city to city assimilating their local populations.

In each city, your radar points you in the general direction of the next weak-minded fool. As you get within range of the target, an arrow appears to show you where they are. Simply hover above the arrow and hold the B button to extend your beam. When it reaches the building, the victim will begin levitating into your ship and henceforth the assimilation will automatically begin. But don't let go of the B button before the victim is securely in your ship, or the beam shuts off and the victim plummets to their death. And what's much more tragic, you lose points!

Any time you don't have a victim in your beam or in your ship, you can switch between four different tools used to assimilate your victims by pressing Start and cycling through the options. Some tools take longer to assimilate the victims while onboard your ship, but once the victim is planted back in the city your Assimilation % gets a significantly higher boost. Weaker tools will assimilate the victim much quicker, but will also give a lower Assimilation % when the victim is placed back into the population.

While a victim is aboard, your ship moves at half-speed, making it a bit more difficult to dodge those annoying missiles and bullets. If you have a lot closing in on you and need to move quick, you can press A to eject the victim and return to normal speed. However, you will lose points and your Assimilation Progress Bar at the top of the screen will, of course, revert to zero. And the victim will plummet to horrible splattering death bla bla bla what sucks is you loose points and progress.

The objective of each stage is to reach 100% assimilation as fast as you can. At the end of the stage, any time you have accrued gets deducted from your score, so MOVE!

IP Logged

Martin
YaBB Administrator

Denmark

Re: New NES Homebrew : Assimilate
Reply #1 - 05. Aug 2010 at 20:49

Made it to the front page... thanks! and if you need a tester let me know ok? Smiley

Seen on #NESWORLD (on efnet)...
[Ace`] i like my HES cases to have arse prints on them
WWW 46415786  
IP Logged

The Evil Wizard Ganon
Forum Newbie

All of Hyrule shall be
MINE!

Reply #2 - 06. Aug 2010 at 01:05

Nice!   Cheesy  Thanks Martin!  I'll be sure to PM you when I start testing.

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #3 - 11. Aug 2010 at 18:49

Thats really impressive.
I appreciate it even more because I've been struggling for quite a while on a side-scrolling engine, and you've got one made that puts mine to shame.

Awesome job.
Al

IP Logged

Martin
YaBB Administrator

Denmark

Reply #4 - 11. Aug 2010 at 22:53

Yeah I can't wait to play this one, it looks really great Smiley

Seen on #NESWORLD (on efnet)...
[Ace`] i like my HES cases to have arse prints on them
WWW 46415786  
IP Logged

The Evil Wizard Ganon
Forum Newbie

All of Hyrule shall be
MINE!

Reply #5 - 20. Aug 2010 at 17:47

albailey wrote on 11. Aug 2010 at 18:49:
Thats really impressive.
I appreciate it even more because I've been struggling for quite a while on a side-scrolling engine, and you've got one made that puts mine to shame.

Thanks Al! But it wouldn't have even been totally possible without your help on the Sprite 0 code, so you also have yourself to congratulate. Wink If you're still having problems on a scrolling engine and want some help, feel free to PM me either here or on NA. Bunnyboy also posted some fantastic scrolling tuts in the Nerdy Nights section of NA, as well.

Martin wrote on 11. Aug 2010 at 22:53:
Yeah I can't wait to play this one, it looks really great Smiley

I can't wait to have you play it! I'm hoping for a Feb/March release. I'll keep updating this and other threads throughout the homebrew community as I get closer. As always I appreciate the support.
« Last Edit: 20. Aug 2010 at 17:48 by The Evil Wizard Ganon »  

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #6 - 23. Aug 2010 at 21:05

I've got one or two parts of mine going, its just I still have a number of pieces I havent started yet.
I have the sprite zero status bar working.
I can dynamically load nametable columns on demand (I still have something broken in my OAM attributes though).
I havent even started the collision stuff (though I can steal it from my jumpman clone or an earlier hecklifter room routine)
I figure at the rate I am going, it will be months before I am where you are.

Awesome job.
Al

IP Logged

NESaholic
God Member

Obscurist maximus

The Netherlands

Reply #7 - 10. Oct 2010 at 22:24

Looks all good, can't wait to see what more you've done with it.
« Last Edit: 10. Oct 2010 at 22:24 by NESaholic »  
NESaholic NeSaHoLiC  
IP Logged

Lorfarius

I Love YaBB 2!

UK

Reply #8 - 13. Jun 2011 at 19:05

Any news on this? Looked really good Smiley

A UK NES collectors site: http://www.NES-bit.com/
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1