Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  Welcome to the NESWORLD forum...
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NES Grey screen (help) (Read 6039 times)
XxSwiftyxX
Ex Member

NES Grey screen (help)
20. Oct 2011 at 15:32

Hello everyone, I am new to this community so I hope this is in the right place,

Right now I pulled out my old NES that was sitting in a box in my closet and decided to play it, I tried the RF connector it simply did not work but at that time if I pushed it up a little it would display the game and I could play it a bit, then I decided well this isn't good so I bought an RCA cable and now all I get is a grey screen, sometimes It blinks but I believe this is related to the 72 pin needing to be replaced, but sometimes I get a red solid screen, blinking red, odd looking pictures on the screen so I am uncertain what is going on.

But I certainly could use some help because if I have to replace the 72 pin how would I get the top off as I have used some pretty melting glue to keep the top on because it was taped.

IP Logged

RegalSin

NESWORLD Supporter!

Re: NES Grey screen (help)
Reply #1 - 07. Nov 2011 at 17:01

These are the following you can do to make it work, in my past.

1. Clean the NES teeth slot with a damp warm tissue, or something with moister. Avoiding using cleaners, asides official cleaners.
Avoid using alcohol.

2. Clean the game teeth. Same as above.

3. Do not blow cold air into the cart, You just helping dirt stuck on the game teetn stay there.

4. If that does not work open the console. And check the teeth. Two things can be wrong.

A. The teeth are not contacting the cart. Like the Sega Saturn, these needs to be pushed it, it will create friction but they wil contact corretly.

B. For my NES, I just push the pins because the pins might slip out. I am talking from behind, When you insert an NES in the original NES, the PINS actually move, out of place. Doing it repeatively will help this problem occur. Basically like me you just have to push them in and make sure none are out.

5. Also if your NES is exposed to something, then that might be a problem. Water damage, toxins, electrical interferance, or something else.

6. The last thing it could be is the idea of bit-rot. Bit rot simple means after not being used for a long time the data is
unrefreshed. However this is a   1% out of 99.999.9% chance of occuring. Is less likely to even occur. Like I have a brand new game, and it has a fully charged battery but it does not work, because of bit rot.

7. if your using pirated games, clones, then some do not work, period.
« Last Edit: 08. Nov 2011 at 20:04 by RegalSin »  

IP Logged

Nightowljrm

Re: NES Grey screen (help)
Reply #2 - 19. Nov 2011 at 16:39

RegalSin pretty much covered it...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print