Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Lit GameBoy Color (Read 8973 times)
NusDoggy Dogg
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Front Lit GameBoy Color
19. Feb 2013 at 03:59

I pick this GBC up for $14.00 off Ebay auction. First mod I did was swap out the red LED power indicator with a 3mm green LED.

Ordered a new shell casing for only $12.00 shipped:

Went on Ebay a day or two later to look for a broken GBASP AGS-001. Found one and won the bid for around $17.00. 3 days later it arrived. And I went straight to work. Got the GBASP speaker in and soldered:

Cut the GBASP front light to fit the GBC horizontally:

Then later, this is what happened when I didn't tape the wires into one spot, so that it wouldn't pull and move the ribbon around. Both soldering contacts are torn off!!!  Angry

But I was able to save it:

I love it! It's much clearer and has better color contrast than my GBA front lit. Lol. Now I can play it in the dark with ease!
« Last Edit: 19. Feb 2013 at 04:02 by NusDoggy Dogg »  

IP Logged

nesboy43
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Re: Front Lit GameBoy Color
Reply #1 - 07. Mar 2013 at 17:54

Great mod, it definitely looks a lot better when the GBA light screen is placed horizontal instead of vertical. What did you use to cut the screen to ensure it didn't crack?
« Last Edit: 07. Mar 2013 at 18:03 by nesboy43 »  

IP Logged

RegalSin

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #2 - 15. Mar 2013 at 01:59

Nice job, you did what Nintendo could not do, in a million trillion years. You really want to impress me, then install the Infared into a GBA SP unit and cal it a day.

IP Logged

NusDoggy Dogg
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #3 - 17. Mar 2013 at 09:16

nesboy43 wrote on 07. Mar 2013 at 17:54:
Great mod, it definitely looks a lot better when the GBA light screen is placed horizontal instead of vertical. What did you use to cut the screen to ensure it didn't crack?

Yup, and there's no annoying vertical bars on the screen when playing. Plus, the LED bulb will be annoying on a see through GBC if the light is placed vertically. I use a dremel. The front light glass is actually plastic, so it won't crack. Just don't use too much force or pressure, and you'll do fine. And I used plastic wrap to keep the dust off the screen when I cut it.

RegalSin wrote on 15. Mar 2013 at 01:59:
Nice job, you did what Nintendo could not do, in a million trillion years. You really want to impress me, then install the Infared into a GBA SP unit and cal it a day.

Yeah. I don't like the GBASP console that much to be messing with them. My next mod will be installing a GBASP AGS-101 back lit LCD screen into my GBA console though. I have two GBA, and one is already a front lit, so now I'm just waiting to get the back lit LCD kit for my other GBA.

« Last Edit: 17. Mar 2013 at 09:22 by NusDoggy Dogg »  

IP Logged

NusDoggy Dogg
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #4 - 17. Mar 2013 at 09:19

Here's a short HD video I made of my front lit GBC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34urFtGnyqw

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print