Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Factors Determine Huge Retro Gaming Prices (Read 684 times)
GriffinGekko
Ex Member

What Factors Determine Huge Retro Gaming Prices
28. Feb 2013 at 01:32

Hi, I've been out of gaming for years now, and am currently trying to get back into it.  There's been something I've always been curious about lately when it comes to gaming.  Every now and then I'll see publicized reports of classic NES auctions or something like that that'll sell on eBay for thousands and thousands of dollars.  Just crazy auctions and numbers like that.  We've all seen them.  Then, I'll go to my local used game store and even my local flea market where I can pick up an NES and SNES system and games for maybe $30 and $5 apiece.  I know those usually don't have the original boxes and manual, but that can't be all there is to it.

My question is: what are all the factors that go into systems and games being sold for wild numbers?  Is condition everything, along with having all the original components (like box, manual, etc.)?  All that coming together to form the perfect experience of reliving their childhood for the collector?  And if that's the case, what's to prevent someone from buying an item loose in great condition, then buying the original boxes and manuals in great condition somewhere else, and putting the pieces all together that way, or does that not count if you're a collector?  I collect comic books and with them condition is everything in terms of grade and price.  Is that the same with what's going on with big retro gaming auction numbers?  Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Re: What Factors Determine Huge Retro Gaming Prices
Reply #1 - 05. Mar 2013 at 20:01

Factory Seal
Box and Manual
Condition
Variations

I honestly cannot say why some items sell for as much as they do.  It is almost always based on condition though.   

The price seems to get exponential the closer to flawless an item appears, but it usually has to have its original factory seal to really take off in value.

Sealed Black Box NES games and any of the early hangtab ones are probably the most insane.
I think that is because Black Box /Silver Box NES collecting is a sub-niche.

Al

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print