Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your experience with knock off retro consoles (Read 9480 times)
CrashOV
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Your experience with knock off retro consoles
29. Jul 2013 at 23:17

Hi there,

So I didn't know where exactly to post this. But since it pertains several consoles I'll post it in the randomness area.

Many retro gamers probably have faced this problem. We have our trusty original consoles at home. But for some reason we wish not to damage/harm it due to usage. Since my NES is the original one bought by my grandfather from when I was about 6 and it is dear to me this for me is the case.

Now I have been thinking about maybe getting those NES/SNES controllers for PC. But I've heard from many that those things feel too cheap and don't give you that right feel. So I have started seeing a lot of these knock off 2in1 or 3in1 retro consoles around ( like the FC twin duo, retron, etc) But I have no experience in any of them. So I figured instead of just asking for a recommendation for me. I would ask people what their experience was with those type of consoles and why you recommend one over the other so others who are wondering the same can benefit too.

Also I would also like to state that I live in Europe and thus mainly have Pal games. Making me fear which of these consoles can even play those.
« Last Edit: 29. Jul 2013 at 23:54 by CrashOV »  

IP Logged

NESjunkie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Re: Your experience with knock off retro consoles
Reply #1 - 01. Aug 2013 at 00:22

They all suck.

Stick the cartridge in and go on a 8-bit trip man...

IP Logged

megaman35
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #2 - 02. Aug 2013 at 12:37

I would not recommend them, unless you just want to goof around with the games.  I have found that the controllers are not good.  They are very loose and can be hard to get precise control.

IP Logged

CrashOV
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #3 - 05. Aug 2013 at 23:12

In that case I will look in to getting some nes/snes controllers for the PC instead. It's not really to goof around. I just didn't want to damage my systems.

IP Logged

johnf
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

a beer can ....

Reply #4 - 06. Aug 2013 at 17:37

i had bad reviews from friend(s) that bought them .... not worth the money or the time to get them ... IMO ( In My Opinion )

IP Logged

Caryl James
Forum Newbie

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left
-Right-Left-Right, B,
A...

Yuma, Arizona

Reply #5 - 10. Dec 2013 at 02:39

Nothing is better than the originals...but I too, have been tempted to purchase a knock-off. Undecided

New Age Pianist & Composer
Video Game Enthusiast

IP Logged

johnf
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

a beer can ....

Reply #6 - 12. Dec 2013 at 14:33

i have been hearing nothing but negative things about them =/

IP Logged

RegalSin

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #7 - 09. Feb 2014 at 20:47

Well, it does not really matter at all, if you get the original or the unofficial, variant. What you have to understand, is that Nintendo, and many companies, have their consoles, mass produced, in China ( usually ), so when the KOEI after market occurs, they need to dump the leftovers. So many people take these parts, and make these models. I will admit, some of them are nice, while others are terrible. Granted the original famicom, did not have AV out, and the original NES has the missing pins for the games that uses FM sound.

For me, I have an adapter that sits atop my SNES, it can play the sound but the volume knob is missing, meaning I am unable to adjust the built in volume for FM games. The
video is clear, but some games will not work, due to lock out chips.

The bottom-line is that if it was 1984, or 1991 would you really care if the system was super great? All that matters is that it shows up on your display. Granted, nowadays the FM/AM signals of Analog TV are all down, leaving room in the spectrum, for the RF switch. Meaning RF switches are just as good or even better then Video ( Composite out ) in some cases.

>>>>>>>

It does not matter at all, in most cases. Chances are, the cop-off is not going to have little things the lock-out chips look for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print