Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NES not working, help needed (Read 6940 times)
Bellzemos
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

NES not working, help needed
21. May 2014 at 22:08

Hello!

Last time I played with my NES was 10 years ago:

I recently took it out of the closed and connected it to a new (LCD) TV. And, sadly, it's not working.

I tried connecting it by the provided "antenna" cable and this is the on screen result:

Then I tried connecting it by Audio & Video cable - and I got this green screen:

What do you think that means? What's not working? The NES worked fine 10 years ago (I bought it over 20 years ago), it was stored in the closet for 10 years so there can't be anything broken I'd say.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged

Bellzemos
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Re: NES not working, help needed
Reply #1 - 23. May 2014 at 13:30

Any idea, anyone, pretty please? Smiley

IP Logged

Bellzemos
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #2 - 25. May 2014 at 13:36

Nobody knows? Sad

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #3 - 26. May 2014 at 14:11

My first thought would be the cart does not have a good connection.

Have you tried all the tricks you would have used back in the old days.   Cleaning the cart, angling the cart back and forth, I know you shouldnt blow on the cart, but sometimes that works, etc..

My second thought would be that the cart is a different region.   But...  If it is the same game and same system as when you put it away, this probably is not likely.

If the LED is not flashing, these are probably invalid guesses.

Al

IP Logged

Bellzemos
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #4 - 27. May 2014 at 13:10

I inserted the cart many times, in and out. If I don't insert it properly the light is blinking. If I insert it right I get the green screen. The cart is the same that I always had and worked flawlessly. So what do you make of this? Thank you for helping me!

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #5 - 28. May 2014 at 14:49

I tried looking around to see if others have encountered this problem.

Most of the posts I've read think that the cart might be dirty.  Using a Q-tip and/or a narrow eraser might help to get those cartridge contacts clean enough to see if this is the case.

Another post mentioned the lockout chip.  I don't think the chip would have gone bad, and if it was bad  I think the system would trigger resets over and over, so I probably would not disable it.  (since it involves NES surgery)

I have personally enountered a situation (once) where the RF box (inside the NES)  was bad.  I had a TV, cable and cart I knew worked, and that particular NES would not work using the RF connection.   However my RCA cables did work.   I do not know how you would verify this. 

Last thought is just an incompatibility with the TV.  If you can get access to another TV (preferably an older tube-TV) you might be able to verify this.   I do not personally think this is the case, but its worth a shot.

Sorry I can't be more help.    In my experience I can usually get a NES operational with a lot of cart jiggling. 

On the flip-side,  I often have horrible luck trying to get SNES or N64 systems to work.
Al

IP Logged

Mario
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #6 - 15. Jun 2014 at 04:51

looks like one of your cables going from the box to the tv is bad. get new ones

IP Logged

Bellzemos
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #7 - 11. Jul 2014 at 17:28

I FINALLY TRIED AGAIN AND FIXED IT. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS CLEAN THE GAME CARTRIDGE WITH SOME ALCOHOL, DRY IT AND INSERT IT INTO NES. AND NOW IT ALL WORKS FLAWLESSLY! I HOPE THIS CAN HELP SOMEONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM LIKE I HAD.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, BYE-BYE! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print