Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page
  This forum is no longer active and actually hasn't been for years. It serves as an archive of what happened "back then" and nothing more. You may be able to register and post, or you may not... and should you encounter any problems then I am really sorry but I am not able to provide any sort of support.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEED HELP REPAIRING!!! (Read 275 times)
forgotten38
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

NEED HELP REPAIRING!!!
25. Jan 2015 at 05:00

Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. I recently got out my original NES and tried playing it, but to my horror it's not working propery. the screen sometimes blinks or stays solid green, or it'll show a faint view of the game behind a ton of fuzz, sometimes it will be a fuzzy view of the game with the top half of the screen going one way and the bottom half going the opposite. So I took it apart and tried cleaning it and that didn't work so I ordered a repair kit with a brand new 72 pin connector and cleaned the games and the motherboard and that didn't work!!! Now my screen is a jumbled mess of picture with no audio!?!?! Please help me!

IP Logged

Mario
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Re: NEED HELP REPAIRING!!!
Reply #1 - 29. Jan 2015 at 21:49

forgotten38 wrote on 25. Jan 2015 at 05:00:
Hey everyone, I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. I recently got out my original NES and tried playing it, but to my horror it's not working propery. the screen sometimes blinks or stays solid green, or it'll show a faint view of the game behind a ton of fuzz, sometimes it will be a fuzzy view of the game with the top half of the screen going one way and the bottom half going the opposite. So I took it apart and tried cleaning it and that didn't work so I ordered a repair kit with a brand new 72 pin connector and cleaned the games and the motherboard and that didn't work!!! Now my screen is a jumbled mess of picture with no audio!?!?! Please help me!

The problem is with your games. Affter sitting around for a couple of decades they become heavily tarnished. Thats something that happened when we were kids too as you'll remember cleaning with alcohol and a q-tip never lasted very long and needed to be done again and again. We always had blinking problems. The problem is that alcohol is very poor at removing tarnish. You need a silver or brass polish. In order to do it you need to but a special screwdriver bit on ebay to remove the security screws on the cartridges. so you can get at the connecters for polishing. Some carts have regular screws though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8mm-Security-Screw-Bit-Lifetime-Warranty-Nintendo-NES-... The polish removes the tarnish and conditions the metal to help prevent tarnish. I have carts that I cleaned 2 years ago that still work perfectly. I dont even have to push the cart down, the connection is so good. pushing the cart down was so that it pressed harder against the connector pins but if they are super clean then its not necessary which is good because pressing it down also bends the pins over time and you have to re bend them or replace the connector.
« Last Edit: 29. Jan 2015 at 21:51 by Mario »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print