Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The system can blow up? (Read 19273 times)
Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

The system can blow up?
27. Sep 2008 at 00:46

I just read an FAQ on GameFAQs, it said that there is little chance of the system blowing up, because Japan's voltage is 100v, and the USA is 110v. Is this really true?

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Re: The system can blow up?
Reply #1 - 27. Sep 2008 at 04:26

Blowing up isn't quite the right term, but it is possible for the Famicom to burn out  -- maybe not the best term either -- if you use the wrong power adaptor. Some have argued that using a power adaptor expecting 110v in the US, which is 120v, could be a problem, because the Famicom will slowly fry. I've heard that isn't true because the Famicom has a voltage regulator that can handle it. I use a power converter that I place between the outlet and the power adaptor that lowers the power to 110v 100v (I have a Japanese power adpator) -- so the Famicom doesn't have to.
« Last Edit: 06. Oct 2008 at 02:50 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #2 - 29. Sep 2008 at 01:41

Quote:
Blowing up isn't quite the right term, but it is possible for the Famicom to burn out  -- maybe not the best term either -- if you use the wrong power adaptor. Some have argued that using a power adaptor expecting 110v in the US, which is 120v, could be a problem, because the Famicom will slowly fry. I've heard that isn't true because the Famicom has a voltage regulator that can handle it. I use a power converter that I place between the outlet and the power adaptor that lowers the power to 110v -- so the Famicom doesn't have to.

Where do I get one of those? And I don't remember what voltage the adaptor I got has.
« Last Edit: 29. Sep 2008 at 01:42 by Stuttering Sam »  

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 29. Sep 2008 at 04:56

I use the one in the pic on this page:

http://www.famicomworld.com/Workshop/Famicom_AC_Adaptor.htm

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #4 - 29. Sep 2008 at 21:44

I'm a little confused here. I looked on the back of the NES AC Adapter (an official one by Nintendo), and I saw a 120V thing on the back, and I think my Famicom adapter said 110V

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 30. Sep 2008 at 04:48

The NES was a US release, so it'd have the proper regulation of 120v for US use. The Famicom was a JP release, so it'd have the proper regulation of 110v for JP use; hence, the need for conversion in the US.

DO NOT USE YOUR NES ADAPTOR WITH YOUR FAMICOM -- that'll make it "blow up."

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #6 - 30. Sep 2008 at 06:13

Quote:
DO NOT USE YOUR NES ADAPTOR WITH YOUR FAMICOM -- that'll make it "blow up."

I never did. Smiley

But if the Famicom adapter is 110v, why does it need a 100v outlet to plug into?
« Last Edit: 02. Oct 2008 at 06:08 by Stuttering Sam »  

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05. Oct 2008 at 03:20

Correction: You have 110V, which is a Taiwanese Famicom. Japan's is 100V. So, you'd need a different converter from the one I linked. TPE Famicoms don't pop up very often, so that's why I didn't immediately notice the voltage difference.
« Last Edit: 05. Oct 2008 at 03:21 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #8 - 05. Oct 2008 at 14:21

TPE?

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05. Oct 2008 at 19:27

Taipei -- the initials used to identify where the Famicom comes from. Japan Famicom items are mostly HVC (Home Video Computer) or FMC (FaMily Computer). Taiwan Famicom items are TPE (TaiPEi). And Hong Kong Famicom stuff is HKG (Hong KonG).

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #10 - 06. Oct 2008 at 02:44

Wait, the USA's voltage is 110v you said, right? And the voltage for the Famicom adapter I have (don't know about the model of the system I have) is 110v, so wait, what's the power converter do exactly if this AC adapter is already 110v?

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06. Oct 2008 at 02:49

Reread earlier posts. Tongue

US is 120v. So, you'll be pumping an extra 10v into the Famicom. Remember, the Famicom has a voltage regulator and should be able to handle the extra 10v, but it's your choice to convert or not convert.

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #12 - 06. Oct 2008 at 03:17

Oh I'm gonna convert. BTW, how do I tell if the Famicom, not the adapter is Taiwan or not? Also, I can't find a 110v converter on voltageconverters.com
« Last Edit: 06. Oct 2008 at 03:23 by Stuttering Sam »  

IP Logged

JC
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06. Oct 2008 at 06:20

Well, you should be able to look at the bottom of the Famicom. It should say HVC and that's it, or it'll also have TPE or HKG. Sometimes the code looks like this: HVC-001HKG.

And I can't help with the converter...try searching on Google. It might be the case that because 110v is so close to 120v, they might not make converters for that.

IP Logged

Stuttering Sam
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD KICKS ASS!

Reply #14 - 08. Oct 2008 at 18:42

The bottom of mine says HVC-002. I guess that means the model's japanese, so my system must be in danger, because I'm using a 110v adapter on a japanese system.
« Last Edit: 08. Oct 2008 at 18:47 by Stuttering Sam »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print