Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
To the NESWORLD news page

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterAwards  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My NES Adventure! 8 Bit Heaven (Read 6209 times)
MyNesAdventure
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

My NES Adventure! 8 Bit Heaven
26. May 2014 at 02:18

Getting ready to play some classics i never had a chance to play as a child (I was born in 1990). 

The NES i ordered from ebay is the action set (Complete in box).  I have been collecting games for about a year now, I have a good number of gamecube games (All my personal favorite titles) and Nintendo 64 games. 

Lately i have been exploring some nes games in the form of roms, and I thought it would be great to own an NES so i can play some of these games on the original console. 

Ill keep this threat updated with NES games i have been playing, and the many struggles iam bound to face. 

If anyone has a suggestion of a great NES game to start my 8 bit gameplay off with, id be glad to hear it.

Still unsure of what to start off with myself.. Undecided

IP Logged

albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Re: My NES Adventure! 8 Bit Heaven
Reply #1 - 26. May 2014 at 14:25

I will answer this question from the viewpoint of when I was a kid and owned a NES and just a few games, rather than a collector who owns them all.

Back in the day  I owned 5 NES games and used to rent some from the video store and borrow some from my cousins.

In no particular order:

Legendary Wings (fun 2 player game.  Fun wears off after a couple of days) I rented this one and still remember it.

Faxanadu (fun adventure game.  uses a password system for restoring  game state.  I owned this game. Sort of a grinding game.

Contra.  I rented this.  Its expensive nowadays, but its a very fun 2 player co-op game.

Bionic Commando.  I rented this one more than once. One of my favorites. I was terrible at it.

Punch Out (or Mike Tyson's Punch Out).  Rented this as a kid.  I always had to refer to Nintendo trading cards for tips on  how to beat different opponents.  Very frustrating, especially Bald Bull.

Dragon Warrior (any of them).  Grinding games.  I liked all of them, although I only rented DW 1 as a kid.  Thats a rough one to rent, since you spend all that time grinding to get tougher and then I needed to return the game without getting all the way through it.

Final Fantasy.  I owned this.  I loved it.  I used to replay it using different combinations of players. 

Metroid.  Surprisingly fun and difficult.  My cousin owned it and lent it to me.  I didnt get very far, but it was a good challenge.

Battletoads.   Played this at my cousin's house. Amazing 2 player co-op.  Some parts were crazy difficult. 

Al

IP Logged

MyNesAdventure
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #2 - 26. May 2014 at 21:40

Thanks for the list

Believe it or not ive never tried a final fantasy game, and I

always forget the original came out on the NES.  I think i

might check around e-bay/estarland to see if i can get a

semi cheap copy.  It seems to go for around 15 for just the

game on ebay.

Think i might pick up battletoads to, sounds like a great

multiplayer game. 

Edit:i have tried final fantasy the crystal chroincles ..>.>

« Last Edit: 26. May 2014 at 21:42 by MyNesAdventure »  

IP Logged

Mario
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #3 - 15. Jun 2014 at 18:06

MyNesAdventure wrote on 26. May 2014 at 02:18:
Getting ready to play some classics i never had a chance to play as a child (I was born in 1990). 

The NES i ordered from ebay is the action set (Complete in box).  I have been collecting games for about a year now, I have a good number of gamecube games (All my personal favorite titles) and Nintendo 64 games. 

Lately i have been exploring some nes games in the form of roms, and I thought it would be great to own an NES so i can play some of these games on the original console. 

Ill keep this threat updated with NES games i have been playing, and the many struggles iam bound to face. 

If anyone has a suggestion of a great NES game to start my 8 bit gameplay off with, id be glad to hear it.

Still unsure of what to start off with myself.. Undecided

I recommend (in no particular order) Dragon Spirit, Excite Bike, Jaws,R.C. Pro-Am , Super Mario Bros 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Paperboy, RBI Baseball, Super Doge-ball, T&C Surf Designs Wood and Water Rage, Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt, Blades of Steel, Ninja Gidan, Battle Toads, Double Dragon,Super Off Road, Contra, Metroid, Kung Fu, Mike Tyson's punch Out, The Legend of Zelda, and Bomber Man.  Probably some of the best games ever mad for nes right here.

IP Logged

NESjunkie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #4 - 16. Jun 2014 at 01:45

-Metroid
-Super Mario Bros. (1,2,3)
-Legend of Zelda (both 1 & 2)
-Battletoads
-Dragon Warrior (all four)
-Bomberman (1 & 2)
-Ninja Giaden (the whole trilogy)
-Dr. Mario
-Contra (all 3 games)
-Mega Man (all 6 games)
-Double Dragon (1,2,3)
-TMNT (1,2,3 and Tournament Fighters)
-Wizards & Warriors (the trilogy)
-Tetris 1&2
-Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back
-Metal Gear (original and Snake's Revenge)
-Bubble Bobble (part 1 and 2)
-Rainbow Islands
-Snake Rattle N Roll
-Castlevania (1,2,3)
-Final Fantasy
-Blades of Steel

I could go on forever. Check your local game store and if you find some cheap NES games ($5 or under) give 'em shot. Might find a gem, might find a turd, that's  the true NES adventure. Grin

Stick the cartridge in and go on a 8-bit trip man...

IP Logged

1983Gamer
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #5 - 18. Jun 2014 at 04:54

You're in for a treat my friend, nes is the best.I'm excited for you, I wish I could live that moment first playing a new nes game. Some of these have been mentioned already but they are just that good ill mention them again.

Obviously Super Mario bros.1-3!
Contra,Super C and Contra force
Ninja gaiden 1-3
Mega Man 1-6
TMNT 1-3
Rollergames
Mike Tysons punchout
R.C. Pro am
River city ransom
Crash n the boys street challenge
Double dragon 1-3
S.C.A.T
The Legend of Zelda
Street fighter 2010   yes its an nes game
Darkwing duck
Bionic Commando
R.B.I. Baseball
Cobra triangle
Mighty final fight
ACTION 52 LOL!
Ghostbusters II stay away from the first one
Super dodgeball
Super spike v'ball
Legendary wings
A nightmare on elm st  crappity smack what avgn says this is good
Castlevania 1 and 3
Metal gear and Snakes Revenge
Super Sprint
Battletoads

That's all I can think of for now, im sure I left out a lot of good games.

IP Logged

thegrammercyriffs
Forum Newbie

NESWORLD Supporter!

Reply #6 - 06. Jul 2014 at 09:44

I own 500 or so games, great you're starting your collection. These are my 10 must haves ( i'll exclude games that have already been listed)

1.River City ransom - this game is endless amounts of fun and the enemies say hilarious things when you beat them up. You can beat people up with chains, tires, boxes etc.
2. Tecmo Superbowl
3. Dusty Diamonds all star softball ( so many great characters to pick for your team)
4. Guardian Legend - often quoted as the most underrated gem of all time
5. Bandit kings of ancient China ( or romance of the 3 kingdoms which ever you can find)
6. Nintendo World Cup - soccer for people who don't like soccer.
7. Archon - youtube it! great strategy game kinda like chess but you get to fight with your units.
8. Adventures of Bayou billy - You tube it, great game
9. Crystalis - great rpg/adventure game music graphics a plus
10. Kirby's adventure

ps. bionic commando is awesome

ps.ps. never buy or disregard a game because of AVGN friday the 13th was a good game too!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print