Send Topic Print
Finished my game (Read 52799 times)
albailey

My NES collecting is getting
out of hand

Ottawa

Re: Finished my game
Reply #45 - 23. May 2007 at 15:39

If you finished one of the "hard" puzzles in only 16 minutes, you're way better at sudoku than me.
I have to "cheat"  quite frequently (not really a cheat, its how I designed the game) by making guesses and pressing start to evaluate and see if my guess was correct. (which penalizes me 5 seconds).

A real cheat if you are in an emulator, you can use a memory viewer in the emulator and look at the 81 sequential memory addresses starting at  0x40 (ignore a leading F)

I "think" I made the first 40 easy, next 40 medium and last 20 difficult.  I have no idea which is the most difficult.

The way I classified their difficulty was by the algorithm I used in autogenerating them and removing numbers from the board.  
For the hard ones I attempt 81 times to remove a random square(and re-evaluate the board to make sure it only has one solution.  Obviously I cant remove all 81 squares or the board would have infinite solutions).  For easy and medium I attempt to remove less squares.  I think 40 and 50  (I'd need to check my code).

Al
« Last Edit: 23. May 2007 at 16:56 by albailey »  
IP Logged

Mike

Philly

Reply #46 - 23. May 2007 at 16:54

Yeah, I was on a "Sudoku roll" with that one... after six or eight failed attempts at the puzzle. I haven't really used the evaluate feature yet.

Anyway, if you ever decide to create a list for future buyers (that is, if there are any left over), please add me to it (mike@nesplayer.com) as I don't check this forum very often.

IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #47 - 27. May 2007 at 20:11

Hey Al, any details on the CCAG show release yesterday? Who won the gold?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

jcheatle
Forum Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #48 - 28. May 2007 at 05:12

dangevin wrote on 27. May 2007 at 20:11:
Hey Al, any details on the CCAG show release yesterday? Who won the gold?

Hey there, just thought I'd answer your question by saying that it was me who won the gold (#4/100) at CCAG. I've been a member here a while, but lurking obviously (I'm slightly more active over at the DP board).

FWIW, I:

1. Bought a gray copy (#39) earlier in the day.
2. Misheard an early drawing and thought I lost since Sudoku was all I put tickets in for.
3. Wasn't paying attention at all to the actual drawing.
4. Half heard my number called and had a genuine "Oh crap" moment.
5. Claimed my prize about a half second before they drew a new winner.

So yeah... fun story. Fun show. My friend who rode three hours with me to the show won the pinball machine they gave away too. Good times.

And although I completely suck at Sudoku, big props to Al. To develop your own game and see it through to the cart creation and all is amazing. I've got nothing but respect after trying out the games, and they'll be great conversation pieces. It's the small touches that put it over the top, though. The "seal of adequacy", the "homebrew series" with the beer stein logo, the box, the manual and back labels (which made me laugh out loud a few times); they're all good.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Thanks again to the guys here at NES World who were at the show and donated the cart. I had a blast talking to you, and hopefully we'll meet up again sometime in the future.

IP Logged

albailey

out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #49 - 28. May 2007 at 14:15

Hi Jesse,
Congrats on winning the carts and thanks for letting me know the numbers.  I'm trying to keep track of who got which carts.

Al

IP Logged

burdger
Forum Newbie

Ohio

Reply #50 - 28. May 2007 at 18:00

Hey Al,
I've never posted here before, but I learned all about your game from the guys over at NintendoAGE.com.  Since you're trying to keep track of who has what number, I have #32 and I'm shipping #40 to burnambill (Nick).

Oh, and Jessie, I'm going to be SOOO mad if you sell that gold one to anyone but me, since I was the VERY first to offer to buy it from you at CCAG!

WWW rrburdge burdger  
IP Logged

burnambill333
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 30. May 2007 at 02:18

@Burdger - So that's what number I'm getting, sweet. Cool Can't wait to get it and see this game in person and play it myself.

@AlBailey - Are all the Gold ones spoken for?  I read somewhere that one might be given away over the internet for a contest of some sort.

@Jcheatle - Congrats on winning a gold one.  Either keep it for yourself or sell it to ME.  And check your PM box!!
« Last Edit: 30. May 2007 at 02:19 by N/A »  

IP Logged

albailey

out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #52 - 30. May 2007 at 14:13

Of the 5 remaining golds (which I have eproms for, I just need to order more sticker making supplies)
1 is a prize for the CGE (vegas) show
1 is a prize for Eurocon show
1 is for the unlilcensed game producer
1 is for my beta tester
I'd like to make the last one as a prize in a Nesworld contest or something.  

Edit- Thanks Burdger.

Al
« Last Edit: 30. May 2007 at 14:14 by albailey »  
IP Logged

burnambill333
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 05. Jun 2007 at 08:28

albailey wrote on 30. May 2007 at 14:13:
I'd like to make the last one as a prize in a Nesworld contest or something. 
Al

Yeah, do that!  It's probably my only chance to get one.

Also I was playing my gray one that I got a few days ago (thanks burdger) and realized how much I suck at Sudoku.  Even the easy puzzles I can't finish!

IP Logged

dangevin

Nibbly Pibbly

Pottstown, PA

Reply #54 - 05. Jun 2007 at 09:08

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Solve-Sudoku-Puzzles:-Beginner-Tips&id=129448

This is a really good brief beginner strategy. The only difficult thing about playing Sudoku as a VG is the inability to mark more than one possible number in a square on difficult ones, but as you get used to it you will find you don't need the pencil-ins as a crutch, you can just visualize it.

It's a big spike in the learning curve though, and if you enjoy the puzzles and are getting frustrated just pick up a dollar-store pad of harder ones and fudge through those. I've had as many as five possibles crammed in the same square and it actually helps, you just erase them as you can rule some out.

It takes practice like any advanced logic puzzle. Respect yourself if you can solve a difficult one on a video version. Smiley

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
IP Logged

GnarlyNES
Forum Newbie

Garage Sale Warrior

Tampa, FL

Reply #55 - 29. Jun 2007 at 00:22

Al, do you have an extra gray copy for sale yet? I would really like to get my hands on one.  Smiley

IP Logged

albailey

out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #56 - 29. Jun 2007 at 19:42

I actually did get chips this week.  I initially ordered from futurlec on May 5th, and after repeated emails where I asked them either ship the chips or cancel the order, they cancelled the order on the third week of June.

So I paid a little more and ordered them from digikey, took less than 2 days.

But to answer your question, No,  I dont have any available.   I'm still working on the batch that is being sent with Jumpman to  CGE in Vegas.

Al

IP Logged

GnarlyNES
Forum Newbie

Garage Sale Warrior

Tampa, FL

Reply #57 - 29. Jun 2007 at 21:12

Right on. If I lived anywhere near Vega, I would check out that game show, but unfortunately I live across the country in FL. Good luck with the show, and I look forward to checking out your game sometime soon.

IP Logged

albailey

out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #58 - 16. Aug 2007 at 03:43

FYI, there was a bug in the grey/gold and blue carts.  On certain TVs this made the screen jitter or act weird.  The problem was that the NES has a 64 color palette, you have to pick the colors you use from that palette, and one of the colors (the shade of black I was using) causes some types of TVs to think they need to refresh again, which fubars the display.

This bug will be found in the grey version, gold version and the early blue versions (no code and -1 code).  it will be fixed in the -2 code blue version.

Al

IP Logged

albailey

out of hand

Ottawa

Reply #59 - 06. Nov 2007 at 22:57

OK, I had 7 copies left over and so I've contacted 7 people who had PM-ed me asking for a copy a LONG time ago.

If you contacted me, but I didnt send you a PM, let me know in case one of those people dont get back to me.

Thus ends the sudoku numbered saga.   According to my spreadsheet,  I'll have made roughly $30 by ordering parts for 100, making 95, and selling 80+ copies.    As you can see, it was not exactly done for the money, lol.

Al

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print